Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC M

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Algorithm in electric-pair--unbalanced-strings-p unsuitable for CC Mode
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 20:54:57 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 18:58:39 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 13:32:17 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
> >  emacs-devel <address@hidden>

> > > Even so, is calling 'git show fe06f64b' too hard to do?

> > Yes.  As you'll have noticed, this is an adversarial debate rather than
> > a constructive cooperation

> It is only an adversarial debate if you two make it so.  I suggest to
> respond as if you don't perceive the adversarial aspects, and expect
> the other side to do the same.

I've been trying that.  It's not been working well.

> > Surely it is a matter of plain ettiquette

> It is not.  Showing Git SHA is perfectly okay, at least in this list.

> > Besides, other people will read this post, and they'll have to remain
> > mystified, or put in the work themselves.  Giving a cryptic, rather than
> > a meaningful, reference thus costs more time than it saves.

> That ship has sailed when we switched to Git.  It is not wise, to say
> the least, to impregnate this discussion, which is already loaded with
> emotions, with yet another emotional reaction against something that
> no one can do anything about.

That is not true.  A policy decision could be taken now to apply to
future commit references.  I can understand you not wanting to lay down
such a policy, however.

I will continue to supply information such as date and commit message
whenever I refer to a git commit, out of courtesy  and consideration for
the people who will read my post.  They will then immediately know what
I'm talking about, and have enough details to decide whether to look up
the commit in git.

Conversely, I will feel free to ignore a bare git commit hash, for
example when I'm tired, or feeling harrassed, or the tone of the post
containing it is unfriendly, or, quite bluntly, when I just can't be
bothered.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).