Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 13:03:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I've probably misunderstood what was being discussed.  I thought
> you were talking about the conversion itself.  The target string is of
> course created via xmalloc.  B ut that could hardly infloop.

So, that function is a function that will commonly already call xmalloc,
so adding another one doesn't substantially change the guarantees or
behaviour of that function, which was my point (because that's the
`message' path).

However, as Paul points out, there are other uses of stderr, which are
indeed low-level error reporting paths -- but they never call the
function I modified.  Paul wants these to also not interleave in a
multi-process environment, and I think that's a nice goal to have, but I
think we're into somewhat theoretical areas there.

The practical problems with interleaving (that is, the only ones I see
with any regularity) are the ones that stems from using `message' in a
batch Emacs, and the other uses of stderr aren't problems in practice.
(Because they're only used for errors that "shouldn't happen".)

But I'm all for fixing those things if that can be done in a way that
doesn't break anything, and then (of course) the `message' path could
also use that machinery.