Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 13:37:20 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Line-buffered stderr does a better job of interleaving diagnostics
> from parallel instances of Emacs, and this is what prompted the fix in
> question. The poorly-interleaved diagnostics have been a practical
> problem that has bugged me for a while, and bugs Lars and I assume
> others.

Yeah, I'm using Emacses in batch mode extensively for doing various
tasks (even triggering from remotes to control the lighting in my apt),
and I've seen messed-up output in these places before, so I think it's
very nice that it's fixed.

> In contrast, unbuffered stderr's only advantages mentioned so
> far have been theoretical.

I do share Eli's worries here that there are some cases where having
stderr being line-buffered would lead to unforeseen situations, and
altering `message' to add the newline in the string being output would
be a safer solution.

But you said that that required more invasive rewriting of the `message'
machinery, so I think it makes sense at least to try the current
approach for a few months and see whether anything untoward is
uncovered...