Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Prickliness of the "invalid byte code" stuff
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 10:34:46 -0400

> OK, thanks.  I did some more tests, and I think it's indeed OK to let
> this variable do nothing.

My original suggestion was just to declare it obsolete (and, as
a consequence, to stop using it in our own files).  So I just pushed that.

We can additionally change bytecomp to simply ignore the variable,
indeed, that's fine by me, but I think we can wait a bit before doing
that (even until Emacs-28, if you ask me).

> But I guess we still need to accept its specification in file-local
> variables without any errors, at least for some time?

Yes, of course.  Note that when compiling the file, any unknown
fie-local specifications are simply ignored, so if/when we remove the

    (put 'byte-compile-dynamic 'safe-local-variable 'booleanp)

it will not cause an error, but it will just prompt the user whether to
obey this "risky" setting instead of accepting it silently.

        Stefan