Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 15:52:56 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 00:47:05 -0700
>
> I fixed it on GNU and similar platforms by installing the attached patch into
> Emacs master. I fixed some other minor stdio glitches while I was in the
> neighborhood.

I don't think I like this change.  stderr is unbuffered for a reason,
and that reason is relevant for Emacs as well: important messages,
especially about errors and problems should not be lost because Emacs
crashes at an un-opportune moment.

The original issue is at worst a minor inconvenience, whereas the
"solution" adversely affects much more serious use cases.  So on
balance I don't think we should install this change.

As I wrote earlier, people who want to avoid mixing messages in
parallel builds can use the GNU Make's -O option.  That does the job
without impacting the rest of Emacs in any way.