Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:53:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Not registering prefix "*" from ielm.  Affects: ("*" "**" "***" "*1"
>> "*2" "*3")
>
> These aren't really definitions, so it's harmless if their "prefix" is
> not registered.  I guess we can also avoid the warning by not using
> `defvar` on those things.

Right, it's these:

(defvar * nil
  "Most recent value evaluated in IELM.")

But ielm really does define (and use) these variables, and you can
describe-variable them:

----
* is a variable defined in ‘ielm.el’.
Its value is 3
Local in buffer *ielm*; global value is nil

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 1.1.

Documentation:
Most recent value evaluated in IELM.
----

Which seems nice...

Perhaps there should be a mechanism to tell the autoload scraper to
ignore certain variables that are known not to be prefix-ey?  It would
basically just apply to these ielm variables...

>> Not registering prefix "se" from page-ext.  Affects: ("search-pages"
>> "set-page-delimiter")
>
> The right fix there is to rename "everything" to use a "page-" prefix rather
> than merely using "page" somewhere in the name.

I'll do the renaming and mark the old names as obsolete.  I can't see
them used anywhere else in the tree, but perhaps there are out-of-tree
uses...