Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 00:53:30 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> *Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to QUERY, was
>> NULL_TOKEN
>> *Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to TRUE, was QUERY
>> *Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to FALSE, was TRUE
>> Grammar in javascript.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 4 useless rules
>> Grammar in js-wy.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 4 useless rules
>> Grammar in python-wy.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 3 useless rules
>> Grammar in python-wy.el contains 4 shift/reduce conflicts
>> Grammar in python.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 3 useless rules
>> Grammar in python.el contains 4 shift/reduce conflicts
>>
>> These are from cedet, and are warning about grammars containing...
>> useless rules?  Perhaps this is more useful at run-time than at compile
>> time?
>
> This is like running `yacc`: you want those warnings when you run
> `yacc`, not when you use the resulting grammar.

I thought it was the .el files themselves that were complaining, but
poking at it a bit more, it's a warning when generating the .el files
from .wy files, so the warnings seem correct, indeed.

>> (source)...
>>
>> Hm...  a "Loading" in the middle here?  Does anybody know why?
>
> I guess something's using `load` instead of `require`?

Yup.  It's this code:

  (defmacro latin-ltx--define-rules (&rest rules)
    (load "uni-name")

There's no comment about why, but it's pretty obvious when looking at
the file itself -- it has no `provide'.  Is that an oversight or is it
meant to be that way?  These files are all autogenerated...

;; Copyright © 1991-2019 Unicode, Inc.
;; Generated from Unicode data files by unidata-gen.el.
;; The sources for this file are found in the admin/unidata/ directory in
;; the Emacs sources.  The Unicode data files are used under the
;; Unicode Terms of Use, as contained in the file copyright.html in that
;; same directory.

Perhaps just add a NOMESSAGE parameter to that load?

>> latin-ltx: 1535 rules (+ 0 conflicts)!
>> Uhm...  That doesn't seem very useful to me -- only output that if there
>> are any conflicts?
>
> Agreed (and I plead guilty),

OK; I'll silence that message (when there are zero conflicts).