Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:05:05 +0200

We've only got four Warning: lines left, but there's some other
irregular stuff being output, and I wonder whether we could reformat or
remove or fix some of these things.  (The point here is, of course, that
when you're working on Emacs and then compile it, if you see something
that looks like an error you know you've done something wrong.)

There's 38 lines on stderr, so perhaps that's a good place to start.

eieio.el: ‘object-print’ is an obsolete generic function (as of 26.1); use
‘cl-print-object’ instead.

These are output by cl-defmethod/cl-defgeneric, and we're defining an
(obsolete) fallback method, so we should suppress this warning.  Do we
need a new mechanism or do we have something to cover this?

---

*Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to QUERY, was NULL_TOKEN
*Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to TRUE, was QUERY
*Warning* default value of <<no-type>> tokens changed to FALSE, was TRUE
Grammar in javascript.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 4 useless rules
Grammar in js-wy.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 4 useless rules
Grammar in python-wy.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 3 useless rules
Grammar in python-wy.el contains 4 shift/reduce conflicts
Grammar in python.el contains 2 useless nonterminals and 3 useless rules
Grammar in python.el contains 4 shift/reduce conflicts

These are from cedet, and are warning about grammars containing...
useless rules?  Perhaps this is more useful at run-time than at compile
time?

---

Hm...  a "Loading" in the middle here?  Does anybody know why?

---

10000 entries
20000 entries
30000 entries
40000 entries
50000 entries
60000 entries

I thought these weren't very useful because they zipped by on my screen,
but people protested.  Could we perhaps reformat them so they look more
like other compilation output:

  ELC      vc/vc-svn.elc
  ELC      progmodes/cc-defs.elc
  GEN      10000 entries
  GEN      20000 entries

Or something?

---

latin-ltx: 1535 rules (+ 0 conflicts)!

Uhm...  That doesn't seem very useful to me -- only output that if there
are any conflicts?