Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Lack of tooling slowing down contributions
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 17:22:20 +0700

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:

> TeX uses a nice approximate solution where a period after a capital
> letter does not mean a sentence ending.  This does not solve everything
> (of course), but helps in cases like "P. G. Wodehouse" (I love his
> Bertram Wooster stories, btw).  On the other hand, it can be tripped by
> things like "He used to work in NASA.  Now he's a full-time comic strip
> author".

I have a hypothesis that in all cases where U+002E FULL STOP is used
in a role other than sentence ending punctuation, it should either not
be followed by any spaces (as in decimals such as 3.14 or object
member access like rect.width), or be followed by a U+00A0 NO-BREAK
SPACE rather than any number of ordinary U+0020 SPACEs (as in
contractions and initials such as e.~g., Dr.~Pepper, or
P.~G.~Wodehouse). So any false positive of the simple rule “Every
U+002E U+0020 is a sentence end” is a typographical mistake to be
fixed, rather than a legitimate exception to be worked around. Any
counterexamples?

On the other hand, I have another hypothesis that this convention
would be much harder to enforce than the double-spacing one.