Re: Towards a cleaner build: tags

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: tags
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:20:02 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> FWIW, I believe tags-query-replace has an adequate replacement already
> in the fileloop package (as you can see it's already implemented in
> terms of it). That would take care of the last two warnings.

Thanks; that was straightforward to rewrite...

> esh-mode.el has a peculiar use for find-tag in creating a special
> version of it that "ignores whether the text is read-only". I'm not
> sure why that would matter since the command does not modify the
> buffer contents.

It's kinda puzzling.  The comment in the key binding section is:

  ;; without this, find-tag complains about read-only text being
  ;; modified
  (if (eq (key-binding [(meta ?.)]) 'find-tag)
      (define-key eshell-mode-map [(meta ?.)] 'eshell-find-tag))

Perhaps this was somehow necessary in the year 2000 when it was written?

> Should we just remove the command and the custom
> binding? Not sure if eshell-mode just set up xref-find-functions as
> well. Is it supposed to use a tags table, or find-func.el?

I can't see any mention of xref in the eshell files...

> As for viper, I guess the emulation stuff has some UI requrements?
> Otherwise we could use xref-find-definitions and
> xref-find-definitions-other-window there.

The latter is fine, but the call for find-tag is with the next-p parameter:

          (if (string= tag "")
              (find-tag ex-tag t)
            (find-tag-other-window ex-tag))

How is that done in terms of xref?