Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 22:31:52 +0100

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, so far it's windows only, but I'm definitely planning to get
> Linux to Windows cross-compilation working. And building sources
> too. You probably have some notes on doing those two things, would you
> be willing to share them with me?

Sure. The code is all in admin/nt/dist-build, as are the setup
instructions.

> Bootstraping is another thing I was planing to implement at some
> point, probably using Guile.
>
> Also Phillip, you you ever need any help with testing on Windows, feel
> free to email me directly. I'd probably be willing to help with that.

It's always good to get testing -- either of the releases or the
snapshots. I post about those here, first.

> Another thing I was thinking about in the long run, is turning that
> script into a more generic build tool, so that you could provide
> scripts for building not just Emacs, but other GNU and similar
> software. For example a script for Guile would be nice, since there's
> no official Windows distribution and then making plugins for different
> Unix package managers would be great.

A variation on my build scripts would do that, I think. Currently, I
just build out of source and then zip everything up. Most of it is not
emacs specific; with some fiddling, it would work for any autoconf'd
package.

At the end of the day, though, I think software like guile is probably
better support within an msys2 distribution with a package manager.

Phil