Re: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 12:37:17 +0200

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:14 AM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> [ Actually, I think we should aim for automatic refilling in the
>   longer run.  That means using a format that unambiguously distinguishes
>   prose from preformatted contents.  But that's another discussion.  ]

FWIW, I agree. Back when the argument highlighting for function
docstrings was implemented, there was a bit of talk about adding some
kind of markup to docstrings, but no consensus emerged.

I'm all for adding markup to docstrings so we can use a variable-pitch
font for normal descriptions and fixed-pitch for code, have the
ability to add tables and images to docstrings,  use bold and italic
and faces etc if/when it would help (I'm not advocating for angry
fruit salad, at least by default). With these facilities, auto-filling
of normal paragraphs would make sense.

But certainly, that's another discussion.

BTW, do we have a way to do "visual" filling, I mean, fill
variable-pitch text up to a given (visual) width?

     Juanma