Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:34:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 22:25:17 +0900
>>
>>  Why is it useful to have different behavior on GUI and TTY frames?
>>
>> Because expectations are different ?
>
> Are they?  I don't think so.

Here is my datapoint.

I use emacs in both tty and gui frame.
Mostly I use tty because my emacs runs on a remote server and using mosh
to connect to it is very convenient. But I also use x2go to connect to
the same emacs instance with a gui, using the emacs mtty feature which
is fantastic.

Some keybindings work in gui mode but not in tty mode, like C-RET for
instance. Since theres a shortage of convenient keybindings that work in
both tty and gui this is a bit of a hassle.

Now, some terminal emulators allow configuration of extended escape
sequences being used. So for these emulators one could in principle have
the same behaviour in both gui and tty mode. Sadly my experience is that
this is too flaky to be used, since I've so far found no terminal
emulator that implements all the features I'd like, together with Mosh.

--
Joakim Verona
address@hidden