Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bloat in Windows (revisited)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 22:07:45 -0400

> I think many editors would have "integrated" find tools even if this is
> just a call out to the OS GUI tool for doing the same. Likewise, spell
> checker.

Yes, I agree with the general desire.  I just proposed a hypothetical
way to make the slope less slippery by reducing the difference between
the tools that are bundled and those that aren't.

> A quick "grep" for executable-find gives 300 hits.  Many are
> languages (i.e. in progmodes), many are text processing commands or
> viewers. After that, we do not have that large a list.

[ Not sure what is the relation between executable-find and this
  discussion.  I was thinking about catching the error you get from
  start/call-process and then looking up some ad-hoc list of
  known commands and their corresponding MSYS2 package.  ]

> I don't think that there are simple instructions on how to install these
> tools, other than "re-install this version of Emacs over msys2 (or just
> install Emacs via msys2) then add the packages with pacman". This is why
> I am asking the question.

I'm too far from Windows to know anything about that.
So maybe indeed there's no good solution here.

I was hoping we could write some Elisp that can download&install
a minimal MSYS2, and another that can ask MSYS2 to install some tool.

> On the other question, does excluding mingw-w64-x86_64-glib2 and subtree
> seem sensible?

I'm too far from Windows to know anything about that ;-)

        Stefan