Re: modern regexes in emacs

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: modern regexes in emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:00:44 +0100

25 feb. 2019 kl. 15.47 skrev Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>:

> I think it would be nice if Emacs had a regexp object.  That would allow
> us to extend Emacs in a compatible way somewhat seamlessly over a period
> of time.

Yes. Furthermore, there would be less need to rely on a cache of regexp
compilation objects. Right now these are user-inaccessible; it is not possible
to keep, query or manipulate them. The cache is finite and small, and
occasionally thrashed. Enlarging the cache increases lookup times, and entries
can still be evicted.

Reliably persistent regexp objects make it more viable to use expensive
compilation methods, triggered by use thresholds or on request.