Re: harfbuzz 2f72162: Fix crash in the Cairo build

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: harfbuzz 2f72162: Fix crash in the Cairo build
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:20:13 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Is XFT sufficiently widespread these days that we can rely on it being
> available on most systems?  If so, I guess it's okay to drop
> ftxfont.c.

Every GNU/Linux distribution provides Xft. Emacs's configure
requirements in terms of version numbers are trivially satisfied even on
the likely oldest supported distribution, RHEL6.

In recent years, there are a few (<= 5) bug reports each year from
builds that are identifiably X11 without XFT. Last year there were two.
Both were Gentoo builds passing --without-xft. One (30203) is an open
report about how the non-XFT build is worse than the XFT build.