Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Free images based on allocated memory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Free images based on allocated memory
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 20:17:15 +0200

> Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 17:42:32 +0100
> From: Andreas Politz <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> The patch limits the amount of memory Emacs may use for an image-cache.  This
> if what my users want and
> it means I don't have to implement it in Lisp.  So, given the cache has still
> vacancy left, I can preload not yet
> displayed images into it knowing they stay there.  Using the existing
> time-based mechanism doesn't really
> work here:  Either  the limit is to short and thus pre-loaded images are
> evicted before they can be displayed.
> Or it is to long and the image-cache becomes undesirable large.

Did you try this code when there's only one or two large images being
displayed in some window, such that each one of the images
individually exceeds the memory limit set by the variable your patch
introduces?  Doesn't this cause Emacs to constantly free and then
immediately re-process the image again and store it in the cache,
e.g., as you scroll the window to bring the image in and out of view?

Please also note that I installed a change today that prevents a
frame's image cache from being altered while the display engine works
on that frame.  This caused Emacs to segfault in some convoluted
situation.

Thanks.