Re: Finding the dump

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 22:25:57 -0500

Thanks.  Here is a new version.  See any problems?

Can you tell me where the reference should point to?

If the program wants to relaunch itself, or find other files that correspond
to its executable file, it should check @code{argv[0]}.  If that string
contains a slash, it is the file name of the executable and its directory
part says where to find other related files.

If there is no slash, the program should search for the executable in
the directories in @envvar{PATH}, and other related files should be in
the installation directory for the program's version.
@c ??? Someone please add a cross reference to info about that.

Providing this information in @code{argv[0]} is a convention, not a
guarantee.  Well-behaved programs that launch other programs, such as
shells follow the convention, and your code should follow it too when
launching other programs.  However, any program that needs to know the
location of its executable, or of other associated files, should offer
the user an option to specify the location.

--
Dr Richard Stallman