Re: find-file-hook, recenter, scroll-conservatively and save-place

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: find-file-hook, recenter, scroll-conservatively and save-place
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 14:49:17 +0100

> My question: is there a better hook that we could use for save-place
> restoration purposes?
>
> I also looked into xref, and there the behavior is much better: the
> (recenter) is included in the default configuration of
> xref-after-jump-hook and it works in all the scenarios that I have
> tried.

Juri, should we handle this somehow?  That is, provide 'window-point'
and 'window-start' action alist entries with the former allowing the
'switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point' logic (among others) and the
latter optionally allowing to recenter.  I don't know how 'save-place'
could pass these on to the 'pop-to-buffer' call in 'find-file' though.
Can you think of any other use cases where these would be helpful?

martin