Re: Package proposal: greader, an audio emacs reader for blind and disle

From: Michelangelo Rodriguez
Subject: Re: Package proposal: greader, an audio emacs reader for blind and dislexic people
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:08:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, Tim Cross wrote:

nIn addition to emacspeak, there is also a package called speechd.el, which
also does a similar thing, but uses speech-dispatcher.
My question would be why create yet another package which appears to do the
same thing rather than contribute to one of the other packages - what is it
about your package that is fundamentally different to either emacspeak (very
comprehensive, robust and powerful, with a well developed underlying
philosophy/approach) and speechd.el (minimalist, simple and lower learning
curve)?

Hi,
Greader is not an accessibility tool for emacs. It is specialized on reading contents of buffers, not in providing information about emacs sessions. Greader is based on back-ends architecture, so does not depend on a single package (eg. on speech-dispatcher) that is known to be buggy, and back-ends for espeak and speech-dispatcher are already provided. Greader has the possibility to make "audiobooks", switable to be listened with mobile devices. In other words, greader serves a different purpose if compared to emacspeak and speechd-el, that are indeed great packages. Yes, i considered the iidea of integrating greader into one of those packages, but it can result in a confusion, because as i sayd, that packages are semantically different.