Re: Finding the dump

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:52:03 -0500

> Indeed.  In fact, Stefan's suggestion is just a slightly fancy (and
> less portable) way of having an executable script which does
>   /foo/bar/emacs --dump-file=/wherever/something.pdmp
> This is something users with certain needs and workflows may wish
> doing, but I see no reason why we as a project would need to force
> everyone on using such a setup.

If the format of the dump file were changed to allow the first page to
be skipped, it'd be for end-users to make it work without needing an
extra file.

> I see no advantages in it that would justify it.

The only reason I can see not to want to support such a use case is the
need to keep using the current setup (presumably because it's
hard/inconvenient to support the other setup everywhere, i.e. because
shebangs don't work in Windows and because they don't work quite right
in MacOS (IIUC they'd break string using "#!emacs --script")).

Other than that, making the dump be the file that is put in $PATH is the
better option.

        Stefan