Re: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipulation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipulation
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:17:31 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 19:46:20 -0500
>
> > I've also got working code that takes an ELPA package and copies it into
> > the core build.  It's quite simple to do actually, the documentation
> > needs improving and to plump in some configure options.  It would raise
> > the possibility of having a "Emacs minimal" core distribution (i.e. with
> > no "elpa" packages).  Interested?
>
> I think we need that, yes (e.g. we really should bundle Company with
> Emacs while we want to keep it in elpa.git).  But it's for Eli to decide
> if and how he wants such a thing.

My opinions on that are known: I think that we should have everything
useful in core, and ELPA should only host packages that are "not yet"
in core, or have some other issues that prevent their move to core.
Since this is at odds with opinions of many others, I very much doubt
that my decision along these lines will stand.