Help figuring out origin of error: "ERROR in parse_header: buffer was ..

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Help figuring out origin of error: "ERROR in parse_header: buffer was .. client: reader got error Success"
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 12:18:45 -0500

Hello,

I have ended up with an unusual regression scenario on emacs master, which I can reproduce only with the combination of M-x shell-command-on-region and the par[1] CLI utility.

I don't see the issue on emacs 26.1.

The issue is that when I select a region of text and do `M-| par`, I get this error:

ERROR in parse_header: buffer was ';; This buffer is for te'
error: client: reader got error Success

I got that error by launching emacs -Q (master branch), selecting the text in the scratch buffer and doing `M-| par`. Interestingly that error doesn't happen on running `od', or `cat' or any other command via M-|.

I contacted the par author Adam Costello, and he had this to say:

> > I grepped Emacs source and par source and none contain any part of
> > that error string.

> Emacs versions earlier than 24 have a lib-src/fakemail.c that contains a
> parse_header() function.  Could that be involved?

But I don't know .. this is a very recent regression .. some time after 26.1 release.