Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:47:56 -0500

>> This has been the promise of the docstring "for ever", AFAIK.
>> Which means that if you have nothing else to do until the process dies,
>> then you're better off using nil for the timeout.
>> I don't know if that promise was broken by bugs in the code, OTOH.
>
> At least the w32 version of accept-process-output was broken in the
> past, see the comment in tramp-accept-process-output.  But this was Emacs
> 22 time, so hopefully it is fixed now.

I suggest you use a nil timeout in Emacsā‰„27.  If this reveals there are
still remaining bugs, we should fix them rather than work around them.

If the bugs have all been fixed already, then maybe we could also use
a nil timeout in older Emacsen, but we've lived with 0.1 in them, so
I think it's OK to keep using a suboptimal value there.

        Stefan