Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: some accept-process-output races fixed; Tramp FIXMEs
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 09:32:19 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Paul,

> I looked for similar instances of the bug elsewhere in Emacs,
> and found what appear to be some instances in Tramp code, along with
> some mysterious "0.1"s that may be inadequate attempts to work around
> the bug. I installed the attached patch to try to document and fix
> this mess, including some FIXMEs about those "0.1"s; I hope Michael or
> someone else with Tramp expertise (I don't use Tramp) can take a look
> at those FIXMEs and at my other Tramp changes, and perhaps at all
> other Tramp uses of accept-process-output and of
> tramp-accept-process-output.

Thanks for the patch. Yes, occasionally there are some problems with
accept-process-output in Tramp, hopefully your patch stabilizes
this. Due to these problems, test tramp-test43-asynchronous-requests has
been tagged as :unstable. I will observe how it goes on.

The 0.1 sec timeout in accept-process-output was not introduced for this
reason, IIRC. It shall prevent accept-process-output calls from waiting
forever for new process output which won't happen. Tramp was blocked by
this, w/o the 0.1 sec timeout.

I will go through your other FIXMEs, whether there could be arranged
something better.

Best regards, Michael.