Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/so-long 7273fb2: Add so-long library

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/so-long 7273fb2: Add so-long library
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 16:01:41 -0500

>>> On the design side, I think you should merge `so-long` and
>>> `so-long-mode` into a single function and make that function
>>> a (buffer-local) minor-mode (i.e. not have any major mode, just use
>>> fundamental-mode instead).  Making it a minor mode rather than
>>> a major-mode will also make it easier to remember the previous
>>> major-mode without any need for a change-major-mode-hook hack.
>> These changes are too significant, so I don't wish to do any of that.
> I think they're just some minor shuffling of code.

Also, I'm wondering which part you don't like.  There are fundamentally
two aspects in my suggestion:
- merge the two
- use a minor mode
I think the most important for the user is the first: the difference
between M-x so-long RET and M-x so-long-mode RET seems fairly subtle to
me and I expect users will have trouble remembering which is which or
even understand that they don't do the same.

        Stefan