Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 20:25:30 +0000

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 21:49:53 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

EZ> I appreciate your authorship, but in Emacs, once we release our code,
EZ> we no longer have much of control on it.  It's out in the open.

I wasn't claiming ownership, but rather pointing out what in retrospect
is not a good design because it hides useful options that need to be
passed through. This is, regardless of the owner, bad code.

The author IMO has a responsibility to recognize this situation.

EZ> Deprecation is a nuisance: it chatters when you compile code, it nags.
EZ> We need a seriously good reason to impose that on unsuspecting users.

There's only one user, is what I'm saying... `open-gnutls-stream' is
just not that popular, fortunately. So we can just kill it and the end
users won't notice.

I'm OK with Robert's suggestion to leave it in place but unused as well.
It's just that it seems like avoiding deprecation in name only.

Ted