Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 12:27:36 -0800

On 11/26/18 11:43 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Emacs used to work OK on machines 10, 100 times slower than what we have today.

That was back before Emacs did things like automatic syntax highlighting.
Today's Emacs would have been rejected for use on those older machines.

Alas, we cannot assume that single-threaded computation will continue to improve at the same rate it improved in the past, as the single-threaded performance-vs-time curve is flattening out. See, for example:

https://imgur.com/a/FVLjs