Re: Identifying the face between STRETCH and right fringe.

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Identifying the face between STRETCH and right fringe.
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 14:25:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Keith David Bershatsky <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 08:44:58 +0100
>>
>> I find the NS behaviour less surprising: the face has been applied to
>> the TAB character, so the emptiness created by emacs displaying the
>> ';'s on the next line should not have that face, since thereʼs nothing
>> there.
>
> But we don't behave like that anywhere else.  The background of a face
> is only extended to the window edge for the default face, not for any
> other face.

Iʼm not sure I understand here: this is a non-default face, and itʼs
not being extended to the window edge. Based on what you say here
thatʼs normal, but X11 and Windows *donʼt* do it?

> So I'm puzzled by your preference.  Do you see a behavior
> like the one you fancy in any other similar situation?

Yes: on macOS, if I turn on hl-line-mode, then the highlighting is
only extended to the edge if point is not in the last line of the
buffer. That may well be a symptom of the same issue (and itʼs kind of
disconcerting now that Iʼve noticed it :-) )

Robert