Re: [found the culprit]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [found the culprit]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 17:59:52 -0500

  > Where there's only one meaning of Z, there's no problem.  Hardly
  > anyone would want Z on a zip archive to change the compression method;
  > that's not what Z is about: it compresses or decompresses, and
  > decompressing a zip archive _means_ unpacking it.

It does not literally make sense to "decompress" an archive.  Any kind
of archive.  That stretches the meaning of "decompress".

Such stretching might be ok, if it led to no confusion or conflict.
However, what we see is that it does lead to confusion.  So Z should
not unpack archives -- not even zip archives.

Instead, we should have a different letter for unpacking archives.
I suggest moving dired-do-find-regexp to F
ad defining A to unpacking an archive.

--
Dr Richard Stallman