Re: Speeding up Flymake in emacs-lisp-mode

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Speeding up Flymake in emacs-lisp-mode
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 12:34:23 +0000

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 07:55, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:

> It'd probably be better if only one process was launched and asked
> (perhaps using server.el) to compile the files.

Alternate idea: keep running a single compilation per Emac subprocess,
but tell it what to compile by sending to stdin instead of command
line args. That way, the process startup can happen asynchronously,
and when you want to compile something you can arrange to have a
subprocess ready and waiting for input.

Thanks.

First, I was under the impression that stdin/stdout for emacs was
not easy. Glad to hear it isn't, but how do I read from stdin?

Are you suggesting I keep a pool of ready to invoke emacsen
and discard them once they become "dirty"?

What do you mean by asynchronous process startup? Isn't that
a "stop-the-world" operation however it is invoked?

João Távora