Re: git+master: c6e6503900534d939dd94b812563c27f22c49b7d crash when usin

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: git+master: c6e6503900534d939dd94b812563c27f22c49b7d crash when using gnus
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:54:03 +0200

>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> --enable-check-lisp-object-type
   >>
   >> > Yes, that's a good beginning.
   >>
   >> This dos not work. That description most likely is incomplete.
   >>
   >> On the prompt that line gives error, so I presume that  CFLAGS='-O0
   >> -g3'
   >> is a setting either in bash or tcsh shell.
   >>
   >> Can you please tell me precisely how this setting should work, and may
   >> recommend change it in the documentation. Once I have finished
   >> successfully the compilation and the debugging I don't mind doing
   >> that.
   >>
   >> It might be that for experts like you these things are obvious, for a
   >> C debugging beginner like me, they are not.

   > Please show the error message you got.  I just tried the command from
   > DEBUG to be sure, and it worked for me.

I restarted my laptop and then

Just typed (using tcsh shell)
 ./configure CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' --enable-checking='yes,glyphs'
--enable-check-lisp-object-type --prefix=/opt/emacs27 --wi
th-x-toolkit=athena --with-mailutils

And that worked.

I could compile emacs succesfully. So maybe I owe you an apology. But
think if I am correct that should be written in src/DEBUG:

The line reads

  CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./configure --enable-checking='yes,glyphs'
--enable-check-lisp-object-type

When I run it I obtain

CFLAGS=-O0 -g3: Command not found.

Which is to expected.

So it  should be

 ./configure CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' --enable-checking='yes,glyphs'
--enable-check-lisp-object-type

   > You should type literally the command as written in DEBUG.

Not for me. Ok I just checked it seems to work for the bash shell. In
that case still a correction should be in place. Don't you think so.