Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Markus Triska
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:27:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> How are those dangers different from using any other external
> library.  Like the JSON library, for excample, or libxml2?

Please note that in particular the first issue I mentioned is quite
specific to GMP: It could be solved by providing a different API, or by
generalizing the existing API to let applications safely handle such
situations. Some of the libraries you mention may support this.

The second issue I mentioned is also quite specific to GMP, since short
arithmetic expressions may cause long running times for calculations. Of
course, this issue may in principle also arise in other libraries.

All the best,
Markus