Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:22:32 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 12:16:05 -0400
>
> > Because we don't have infrastructure for tagging sub-ranges of Unicode
> > with character sets (and in some sense, that would make little sense,
> > because Unicode is a unifying encoding).
>
> Does Unicode offer a way to do that (i.e. is it a limitation on our
> support of Unicode, or is it a limitation in the Unicode spec)?

Unicode has language tag characters, but they are deprecated and their
use is discouraged.

In any case, I don't think Unicode features are relevant here, because
we already have char-script-table, which is all you can do with a
unified codepoint space.  The whole point of ISO-2022 is that the same
Unicode codepoints can come from different ISO-2022 charsets, and the
ISO-2022 encoding keeps that information in the bytestream.