Re: Text property searching

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Text property searching
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 20:26:59 +0200

Below is a draft of the documentation of this function.  Does it all
make sense?  :-)

Should we perhaps go for a shorter name for this function?  It's a bit
of a mouthful, but I don't really have any ideas for a good, snappy name
here...

 -- Function: text-property-search-forward prop value predicate
     Search for the next region that has text property PROP set to VALUE
     according to PREDICATE.

     This function is modelled after ‘search-forward’ and friends in
     that it moves point, but it returns a structure that describes the
     match instead of returning it in ‘match-beginning’ and friends.

     If the text property can’t be found, the function returns ‘nil’.
     If it’s found, point is placed at the end of the region that has
     this text property match, and a ‘prop-match’ structure is returned.

     PREDICATE can either be ‘t’ (which is a synonym for ‘equal’), ‘nil’
     (which means “not equal”), or a predicate that will be called with
     two parameters: The first is VALUE, and the second is the value of
     the text property we’re inspecting.

     In the examples below, imagine that you’re in a buffer that looks
     like this:

          This is a bold and here's bolditalic and this is the end.

     That is, the “bold” words are the ‘bold’ face, and the “italic”
     word is in the ‘italic’ face.

     With point at the start:

          (while (setq match (text-property-search-forward 'face 'bold t))
            (push (buffer-substring (prop-match-beginning match)
(prop-match-end match))
                  words))

     This will pick out all the words that use the ‘bold’ face.

          (while (setq match (text-property-search-forward 'face nil t))
            (push (buffer-substring (prop-match-beginning match)
(prop-match-end match))
                  words))

     This will pick out all the bits that have no face properties, which
     will result in the list ‘("This is a " "and here's " "and this is
     the end")’ (only reversed, since we used ‘push’).

          (while (setq match (text-property-search-forward 'face nil nil))
            (push (buffer-substring (prop-match-beginning match)
(prop-match-end match))
                  words))

     This will pick out all the regions where ‘face’ is set to
     something, but this is split up into where the properties change,
     so the result here will be ‘"bold" "bold" "italic"’.

     For a more realistic example where you might use this, consider
     that you have a buffer where certain sections represent URLs, and
     these are tagged with ‘shr-url’.

          (while (setq match (text-property-search-forward 'shr-url nil nil))
            (push (prop-match-value match) urls))

     This will give you a list of all those URLs.

---

Hm...  it strikes me now that the two last parameters should be
optional, since (text-property-search-forward 'shr-url) would then be
even more obvious in its meaning.