Re: Setting point

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Setting point
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 00:24:03 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point was introduced mainly so that if
> you have a buffer displayed in 2 windows or more, switching to some
> other buffer and back will get you to the original point instead of
> moving you to one of the points of one of the other windows displaying
> that buffer.

Hm...  I see.  That does sound useful.  But here the buffer isn't
displayed that way, so...

> BTW, I'm not sure exactly what is the circumstance where you want Gnus
> to do that, but maybe a better solution is to move point at another
> moment, i.e. either before *Group* is un-displayed, or after *Group* is
> re-displayed.  E.g. instead of moving point to the next group when
> I leave a group, Gnus could move point to the next group just before
> entering the group (at which point *Group* is still displayed).

Yes, that's what Gnus does now, but it didn't do it on all "exit group"
commands, so things got a bit confused.  This happened to work before
because Emacs left the point alone after it had been set, but stopped
working some years ago.

But I think I've fixed the remaining commands now, so I was mostly just
curious about how this was supposed to work.