Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 22:58:18 +0300

> From: Pip Cet <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 19:39:13 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Floating-point numbers of equal value are ‘eql’, but they may not be ‘eq’.
>
> I think that matches what I want (which is to be free to merge all
> floats of equal value right away), and it matches your change, but not
> what Eli suggested was legitimate.

We could be mis-communicating: you said "EQ", not 'eq', so I thought
you wanted to supplant the EQ macro on the C level to return non-zero
for two float objects whose values compare equal.  Now it sounds like
you were talking about something entirely different, something that
only matters on the Lisp level.