Re: Revisiting `setq-local`s signature

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Revisiting `setq-local`s signature
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:47:05 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, Jordon Biondo wrote:

A while ago I brought up the inconstant signatures of `setq`, `setq-default`
and `setq-local`. In short, I want `setq-local` to
have the same signature as `setq` and `setq-local`. (setq* VAR VAL VAR VAL...)
See thread: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-03/msg00448.html

I appreciate Stefan's input back then, but I'd like to revisit the issue, get
further input, and see if I can change some minds
about the issue.

If you believe the variadic signature of `setq` and `setq-default` is not
ideal, consider that backwards compatibility erases any
chance that those two functions will lose that feature, and consider the
benefits of being consistently wrong over being
inconsistently right.

Are maintainers and users still opposed to this change? If not I'd be happy to
update the patch from the previous thread.

It is most natural for setq-local to have the same calling convention
as setq.
+1
FWIW, i am in favour of naturalness too.

Regards,
Tino