Re: CEDET Merge

From: Edward John Steere
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 22:36:07 +0200

> I'd like to help with this. Perhaps doing some of the merge work, or by
> running tests; let me know.

Hi Stephe,

Great!  I could use all the help I can get :-)

Our main concern is to maintain the commit history and I think that my
original approach of merging to CEDET and then back creates too much
noise.  So I'm now considering a new approach and would value your
involvement if we can work out the details.

I think that the best way to go about this is to move everything in the
CEDET project into folders which mirror their destination in core.
Changes will be required for:
 - The grammar files, which need to be in admin/grammars
 - The tests, which need to be in test/manual/cedet
 - The documentation files, which need to move to doc/misc (and
   should probably be flattened.)

Once moved we commit, add CEDET as a remote of Emacs and merge
CEDET/master allowing unrelated histories.  We can delete any files
which fall outside of:
 - admin/grammars
 - test/manual/cedet
 - lisp/cedet
 - doc/misc

We should also delete any added Makefiles, EDE project files and bash
scripts.

This brings us to the topic of collaborating on this change.  I'm not
aware of any strategy for merging which allows for collaboration; so
I've come up with the following hack (comments/adjustments welcome):
 1. create a staging repository for CEDET and make the requisite folder
    structure changes in it
 2. create a branch in the Emacs project and merge allowing unrelated
    histories
 3. delete any files outside of our target folders and commit with
    unresolved conflicts
 4. push up the branch and divvy out files/folders for fixing conflicts
 5. commit and push as we go

If this sounds like something you'd like to be involved in then I'll
start with steps 1.->3. and follow up when I'm done.  If anyone has
a better idea then I'm listening.

(I considered moving the tests, but they have history too and we'd have
to start splitting commits to get them across w/o the rest of upstream
CEDET.  Additionally there's nothing preventing the tests from being run
with CEDET in Emacs core.  Just start it with --no-init add the test
folder to the load path, load the relevant test file and run it.)

Kind regards,

Edward Steere