Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 22:13:42 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:11:26 -0500
>
> >> You can set byte-compile-debug (along with debug-on-error) to get
> >> a backtrace which will be more useful.
> > That doesn't help when one is presented with a build log.
>
> Not directly, no, indeed.  Usually I then fire an interactive Emacs, set
> the vars and call byte-compile-file to reproduce the problem in an
> environment where I can investigate the backtrace comfortably.

There's more than one way of tracking the real locus of the problem.
My point is that either way, it's an annoyance which makes
investigation of such problems significantly less efficient than when
the byte compiler points out the source file and the line number where
it happens, or close thereabouts (which is what happens most of the
time).

I gather that we are in violent agreement about that.