Re: Anaphoric macros: increase visibility

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Anaphoric macros: increase visibility
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 16:56:56 +0900 (JST)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Dmitri Paduchikh wrote:

Comparing if-it, when-it with if-let, when-let, it seems
clear that they represent different tradeoffs of simplicity vs. flexibility.
Do we need to choose?  We could have defined both kinds of anaphoric macros.
A) The simpler one is easier to read/understand.
B) The more flexible one allow us to write uniformly several related forms.

If i need > 1 binding i would use B), and if i just need one binding probably
i would rather prefer A).

This explicitness argument seems to be standard criticism against anaphoric
macros. But it's easy to fix by providing new names for these macros: if-it,
when-it, and so on. Besides being more explicit these names are more readable
than aif and awhen.
Although I prefer your names, i.e., if-it than aif, it might be argued that
there are historical reasons in favour of the latter.

Regards,
Tino