Re: Problem with new cl-lib 0.6 in ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problem with new cl-lib 0.6 in ELPA
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 21:04:17 -0500

Steve> The new cl-lib version now declares a package dependency on Emacs
Steve> 21, which actually renders it completely uninstallable in Emacs <
Steve> 24, since the only versions of package.el usable in Emacs 23.x
Steve> have no concept of built-in packages like "emacs".

>  Something is weird here, because "emacs" as a package was in package.el
>  at the very beginning.  This is also documented in
>  (info "(elisp) Library Headers")
>
> I'm not aware that there is any version of package.el compatible with
> 23.4 which supports both multiple archives and the "emacs"
> pseudo-package.

AFAIK most ELPA packages don't care very much about being installable
with package.el in Emacs<24, but I don't see any reason why we can't
make a package.el that works in Emacs<24 and is "up-to-date" in the
sense that it supports the `emacs` package and the new version-less
dependencies.

        Stefan