Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: jsj.register
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:33:27 -0800

Hi,

I encountered huge lags when using org mode (detailed below) on build “emacs-25.1-2-x86_64-w64-mingw32.zip” with “emacs-25-x86_64-deps.zip” (from ftp.gnu.org).

With the same configuration and the same org file, everything is fine on Mac (emacs 25) and on Windows (emacs 24.5), so I think I might post is here. I am sorry if this is the wrong place.

Reproducing it is a little bit tricky.

It seems to happen when certain utf8 symbols are displayed in the buffer.

By saying "certain utf8 symbols”, I refer to those that are not with the common width, so it depends on the font you are using.

What I did is the following.

I am using the latest org mode (version 9) and have turned on “org-pretty-entities” , which replaces some latex codes (eg. \alpha) with their corresponding utf-8 symbols.

The font I use in emacs is “Hack”. With this font, greek letters are all OK, they have the same width as the English letters.

One example to show the lag is “\gg”.

Simply open an org file and put in “\gg” followed by a space and some other letters. “\gg” will be displayed as a utf8 symbol.

Then try to move the cursor quickly. You should experience huge lags.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

jsj