Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 13:22:55 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02.01.2017 13:21, Nikolay Kudryavtsev wrote:
>> You're right, master indeed uses the local name. I was pretty sure that
>> was impossible. So, I tried to figure out how does that work. The answer
>> - it does not. Master tries to write to a file on a local machine, which
>> does not exist. So I don't think we can replace absolute filename with
>> the local one.
>
> Thank you for testing. Michael, what do you say to this?

I say that I don't understand it. Nikolay, could you pls give an example
and explain in detail what happens? Note, that I don't own an MS Windows
machine. And if I hijack one, temporarily, it does not run git. So I
have no chance to test anything for the blamed scenario. What I could do
is code reading across the example.

But this looks different to the Emacs 25.2 issue. Nikolay did propose a
patch in bug#23076, and I did propose another version of that patch
patch applied in master. So we have to decided, which of the two offered
patches shall go into the emacs-25 branch, and whether it works. Again,
I cannot test myself. That's why I gave it to Nikolay, several times already.

Best regards, Michael.