Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:57:30 -0400

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 05:33:23 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 15:49:02 -0700
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > The key insight there is that we shouldn't have redisplay *lock*
> > the display matrix and render it. The lisp universe should send a
> > *copy* of the matrix set, then go about its business. This way,
> > redisplay can go display that copy and everything is decoupled.
> > You turn the system into an Erlang like message passing
> > environment.
>
> The glyph matrices are not exposed to Lisp, so there's no issue here
> to begin with.

BTW, a +1 on moving concurrency in general towards an Erlang style
model. It's much easier to program against. Yes, I know this is only
being discussed for display management but it could be used for much
more.

(And that reminds me: on top of the rest of the list of things that
lock up all of emacs unpleasantly which would be nice to have
concurrency for: checking for package updates in a package manager.)

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden