Emphasizing the top of the frame

From: John Yates
Subject: Emphasizing the top of the frame
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:53:32 -0400

I have recently switched to a 30" 2560x1600 screen.  In emacs I love having 3 side-by-side 100+ column windows.

What I do not love is the tension between the height of the screen and emacs' bottom bias (mini-buffer at the bottom of its frame, mode-line at the bottom of each window).  This contrasts with the rest of current window layout conventions which place title information at the top of window/frames.

I really would like to be able to specify that
* the mini-buffer should be positioned at the top of the inner-frame
* the mode-line should be the very first line in a window, rather than the last

Since this is a personal itch I am willing to starting poking at the code on my own.  That said this will be my first foray into the emacs .c sources.  Pointers and/or suggested lines of attack very welcome.

/john