Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:42:02 -0400

> I don't understand how you get to talking about fragmentation.  I
> never mentioned anything like that.  The problems I was talking about
> are all related to using ralloc.c on GNU/Linux systems with a recent
> enough glibc.

I misunderstood, then.  I fully agree that ralloc.c is a landmine, if
that's what you meant.  That's why I think we should get rid of it.

And if we really want to keep it, we should prefer mmap over ralloc
(i.e. we should only consider ralloc in those cases where the mmap
alternative is unavailable (not sure if there are still systems where
this is the case, the DOS port maybe?)).

AFAIK, gmalloc+mmap-ralloc is a perfectly acceptable solution for
Emacs-25.2 with the new glibc, with no known problem.

        Stefan