Re: Concurrency, again

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:27:37 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Have you tried using the webkit widgets?  Emacs does not hang while,
> say, playing video, so presumably it's running its own thread.  It is,
> in any case, irrelevant to the discussion of Emacs Lisp concurrency:
> The Emacs "event loop" is doing anything inside the widgets.

As far as I understand the xwidget webkit browser is "only" some sort of
a Client-server thing where you send messages from emacs to another
process and it then does stuff and sends maybe answers back.

More interesting is where does ewb go. Cause I doubt that the Xwidget
thing will be very well hackable, like emacs can show pictures and use
that to show pdfs, but it dont directly interact with them on a pixel
level or can select the text in this pictures or manipulate it with
functions directly.

And I could see ewb be the real hacker browser in the future. Cause we
dont get any api/standarts in the web besides imap and pop3 webpages and
as example comment sections cant be threated like nntp messages or as
gnus group. So if you wanna interact with such sites you need a
browser.

But (at least in a normal browser) they force you to use their interface
and some sites even force shortcuts on you (like github). So a browser
that would make it easy to format sites the way you like and use emacs
shortcuts in it would be really nice.

Like the readability mode, does start it, with some sort of basic
heuristic to change the optics of web sites.

Sorry I go OT, but the question is, does ewb need some
Concurrency? I guess not really cause the javascript stuff is more a
pain than a gain for most cases in such environment.

Maybe if you wanna have 10 20 ewb tabs open and some sort of automatic
refresh in the background?