Re: Question about intended behavior of 'insert-for-yank-1'.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Question about intended behavior of 'insert-for-yank-1'.
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 16:04:57 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 12:40:49 -0500
>>
>> >You need to understand the logic behind the instructions in
>> >CONTRIBUTE: the release branch should only get fixes that are either
>> >necessary, or are safe, i.e. cannot possibly break the release.  And
>> >doc changes obviously belong to this latter class.
>>
>> I understand that logic.  However, do you mean s/only/always/ above?
>
>I don't see the difference.  "Only" means "always" in this case.

Ah, I see what happened, I think.  This is just an English usage issue.

In this context, a native speaker would (usually) interpret "only" as meaning:
"the only circumstances under which you should commit a fix to a release branch
are XYZ".  But you meant it like this: "in circumstances XYZ, you should commit
only to the release branch, and not to the master branch".

If you take your original sentence and substitute "always" for "only", it will
convey what you intended it to mean.

>> But I don't know that for sure, and CONTRIBUTE doesn't say.  Maybe
>> this is just a doc bug in CONTRIBUTE and we should fix it.
>
>CONTRIBUTE already does say that, I made the change there today.

I clarified in commit 4b347fe5 (on emacs-25) that this applies even when the
release branch is in feature freeze.  Now there can be no misunderstanding.

Thanks,
-Karl