Separating obarray handling from abbrevs

From: Przemysław Wojnowski
Subject: Separating obarray handling from abbrevs
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:21:43 +0100

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to write a test for abbrev-table-p, but encountered a
problem. The function checks that passed object is a vector, but abbrev
tables are implemented in terms of obarrays, so in the following test,
the last two assertions fail:

(ert-deftest abbrev-table-p-test ()
  "Should assert that given object is an abbrev table."
  (should-not (abbrev-table-p 42))
  (should-not (abbrev-table-p "aoeu"))
  (should-not (abbrev-table-p '()))
  (should-not (abbrev-table-p []))
  (should-not (abbrev-table-p ["a" "b" "c"])))

The check in abbrev-table-p should have been "(obarray-p object)"
instead of "(vectorp object)". Of course, there's no obarray-p function,
but I can write it.

Another thing is that obarray "handling" is mixed with Abbrev
functionality in one file - they are separate concepts. obarray is just
a type of collection that is used as storage implementation and should
be clearly separated.

Can I move obarrays functionality from abbrev.el to a separate file and
changed abbrev.el to use it? Also this would allow to reuse that
functionality in other places where obarrays are used.

Thanks,
Przemysław